james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I am an unmarried mother and have registered my daughter but

Hi I am an unmarried mother and have registered my daughter but left the fathers details blank. He wants to do a paternity test, once he has been established by the father (this test is also accredited by the courts) I am worried he will take me to court to change her name and I do not want her name changed. She is currently 4 months old. Is it likely he would win this case?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: The father needs to conduct his paternity test before anything else
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's pretty much it thank you

Hello I will assist.

First of all he would need to establish that he is the biological father of your child.

If established, he can take the matter to court, to have his name added to the birth certificate, but he had no right to change the babies name.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Once established, he can add his name to the birth certificate but my concern is if he decides to change her forename and surname.My dispute would be for finances, medical appointments, travel I would prefer my daughter to have my surname.His could be to strengthen their bond.He has been calling her April in emails so I dont think he can just change her first name. But I am concerned with the surname.

You would have to agree to a change of name, he could only add his name, if the court allowed.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Is it likely the court would look into the name change and is it likely he would win?

The court would most likely allow his name to be added, but that does not change your daughters name at all.

Can I assist further. Here to help.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Sorry, do you mean for his details to be added to the certificate but its unlikely they will agree to her forename being changed. I have organised video calls and he does call her April then and he mentions in a few emails her forename.I am just worried as he has very bullying with his emails and threatening to take me to court.In regards ***** ***** surname, I am worried it would cause issues for myself as her primary carer and the one who is currently dealing with her medicals etc.Travel and finances would be an issue if myself and my daughter had different surnames. How long would the court process take?
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
also how much would it cost?

Again, no her first or last name would not be changed. The only change would be on the certificate with his name added as father, and then only if he takes it to court and they agree.
No cost to you.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Is it likely the courts would change her name? Or would there need to be a very good reason.

I have already said the name would remain unchanged .

The only change to the certificate would be his name being added as father.

Can I help further?