Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
108775951

I am buying a car to lease to someone so I will own it but

I am buying a car to lease to someone so I will own it but they will be using it who’s name should I put the car in is it possible to be down as leased car or ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Birmingham United kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing I am going to print of a basic lease agreement with terms and conditions And have them sign that just want to know how to not have the car in my name if possible
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No nothing

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** am a barrister and will assist you with this issue today.

Please be aware that this is an e-mail service rather than a live chat. Sometimes there will be some delay between responses but I will try to reply as soon as possible.

Ownership and registration are two different things. If the person leasing the car from you is going to be driving the car and keeping it at their house etc then they should be registered as the Registered Keeper on the V5 log. This doesn't affect your ownership of the car.

That way, the person leasing the car is responsible for any speeding tickets, ensuring it is insured and things like that.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok will thanks so best thing to do is put the car into the persons name I am leasing it to and also state that in the lease agreement car still owned by myself but for the duration of the lease put the v5 into the leaseholders name is ***** *****

Yes, that is correct. If the other person is the keeper then they should be on the V5. It is important that you spell out in the contract that you remain the owner and set out the payments that are required. You should also spell out what happens if they do not pay i.e. you can recover the car.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Will do thanks for your help