How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16046
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My sister passed away 2017 and had money from a repossesion

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: my sister passed away 2017 and had money from a repossesion off her house left in court funds,she has 2 sons which im asuming the money would go to them,but we dont know were to go or how to start process of claiming the money. any advice,? thankyou vicky chambers
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: liverpool 17
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: i have all documents from the repossesion etc bank letters...
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thankyou

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

were the sons under 18 at the time?

do you have any documents at all?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
The youngest was 17 at the time and i do have alot of paperwork from my sisters possesions ive kept.

There is quite a lot of money hanging around in the Courts Funds Office which has been unclaimed.

The government have a webpage and getting the money out:

And another one:

And another

What you might want to do is have a look at those links, and contact the appropriate department. They will then come back to you if they want you to follow a different process. Of course, it’s not use applying it’s the children if they are over 18 although you can obviously help complete the paperwork.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

Thank you.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.


Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thankyou, i have been on those websites but there is lots of forms to pick from its a bit confusing. Shud i just go to the family courts and speak with someone

You can do but they will not give you advice although they should tell you which form to fill in. However as it’s not your money and you have no entitlement to it, you are going to need to take at least one of the children with you.

F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
thats fine. Thankyou again.