How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16012
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I have a neighbour who has been harassing us and I would

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have a neighbour who has been harassing us and I would like to consider legal action
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: None, I have only been recording all events with video recording and some reports
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Chessington London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: None that I can think of

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

what exactly are they doing?

since when? why?

are they a private owner or tenant?

Customer: replied 23 hours ago.
Hi,They have been verbally abusive towards us. Banging on walls making threats. Constantly reporting us for to authorities to cause nuisance. They even had the police visit me because we had a bbq.The abuse has been happening for over a year.They are tenants.Kind regards

Harassment is defined as a course of action (more than once) which is intended to harass, does harass, is reckless as to whether it harasses, or if the average bystander would look at the conduct and think that it was indeed harassment.

Harassment is both a civil matter and a criminal matter.

If you are being harassed. Go to the police and ask them to warn the ex-under the Protection from Harassment Act. Some police forces take that very seriously and others not so and therefore, you may need to speak to a senior officer or put a complaint in writing to the Chief Constable.

You need to keep a diary of dates, incidents et cetera.

If she is continually making noise, you can make a complaint to the Environmental Health Department at the local authority and they can actually issue a noise abatement notice.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

Thank you.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and 7 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 23 hours ago.
Thank you for your help,i really appreciate it