Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
108775951

I’ve been charged with drug driving with traces of cannabis

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I’ve been charged with drug driving with traces of cannabis I have been given a court date of the 28-07-2020
JA: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?
Customer: I’ve just come back from lock down I need advice
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: In Colchester on the 27-11-2019 I also was suffering from gas poisoning at the time as the LPG on the car was leaking would this affect any readings
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do smoke cannabis for pain relief as I cannot take painkillers due to other medications I take

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** am a barrister and will assist you with this issue today.

Please be aware that this is an e-mail service rather than a live chat. Sometimes there will be some delay between responses but I will try to reply as soon as possible.

In terms of there being "traces of cannabis" unfortunately for you just traces can be enough to put you over the limit. The limit is very low in the UK.

If you plead guilty or are found guilty you can expect a driving ban and a fine if the level of cannabis is just a trace.

In term of gas poisoning I doubt that would affect the reading but you would have to speak to a forensic expert about that. If you use cannabis anyway I'd say it is more likely that it is the cannabis that caused the reading rather than the gas.

If you are going to plead guilty at the first hearing then you will likely be sentenced there and then. You don't particularly need a solicitor to attend with you if this is the case as you can explain everything yourself and put forward your mitigation about needing pain relief etc. If you do plead guilty at the first opportunity you will receive 1/3 off any fine and lower court costs.

If you plan to plead not guilty or you want to explore the issue of the gas poisoning I'd suggest fully instructing a solicitor. You can find a local criminal solicitor here: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions.