ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

How can I obtain a restraining order for slander and

How can I obtain a restraining order for slander and harassment
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Contacted the police and blocked the person but she keeps finding ways to contact me
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to help.

You say you contacted the police, what did they say in relation to this?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi there
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will call you tomorrow if that's OK?

Hi there. Kindly answer the question I have asked.

That is fine. However, that was an automated, system generated prompt. So, I can answer you here online if you like for me to respond b sending you a message.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
They said that it would be quicker to pay for a restraining order than go through them

Is this someone you had a relationship with?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sorry I think they said no contact order or non molestation order. Its a lady who is harassing me online and stalking me and making slanderous comments because she's a competitor and her boyfriend has been making threats
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She has been getting people to harass me leaving negative reviews and saying I'm a thief and she has contacted me on my personal email, number and Facebook as well as using fake accounts

So I take it this was not someone you were in a relationship with?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No

I am not sure why it is the police recommended a non molestation order, as that is used when you are in a relationship with someone and the relationship ha broken down and they are, among other things, threatening or harassing you. What you have described is not something that you would apply for a non molestation order for.

Based on what you have described is happening, you would need to apply for a restraining order. Under the Protection from Harassment Act , it is an offence for a person to act in a manner that will cause you harassment or make you fearful of violence being done towards you. If you think you’re being harassed, you should report it to the police who may be able to take action against the person responsible and ultimately get you the restraining order. I am not sure therefore why they have not been willing to assist. I am not sure if it is that they may be currently overwhelmed with the current pandemic. I recommend that you go back to the police and advise them that you are making a complaint pursuant to the Protection of Harassment Act, outline too that this is not someone with whom you have had a relationship.

Hope I clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly take the time to indicate your acceptance of the answer given. You may do this by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

All the best

RL

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That's great thank you

You are most welcome!