How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 991
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I hope to consult with an expert on regulations regarding

This answer was rated:

I hope to consult with an expert on regulations regarding home students tuition fees. Thanks!
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We are British, currently living in California.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We moved to CA in 2008 when my son was five years old. He graduated from Oundle School this year and has an offer from Oxford.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure what information the lawyer will need. My son loves UK and intends to live and work there after graduation. I’m nearly retired and will return to London. We made an offer once to buy a flat, but didn’t succeed. If it’s not the COVID-19, we should have been there for my son’s graduation and view more flats in London.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My son was born in Aberdeen in 2002, moved to the US in 2008. He went back to the UK when we took sabbatical leave in 2016. He stayed In Oundle School since then and intendS to work and live in the UK, as we all do after we retire. I’m 59 and will retire soon. We are viewing flats in London and have secured a mortgage already. I’m holding US green card and working at University of California, Davis. My son is 17 and stayed in the UK for more years (9)than in the US (8) and he’s British and graduated from a UK school. It seems reasonable for him to Be regarded as a home student! Can you please help us?!

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today

I will get back to you with my answer shortly. The system will notify you via email when this happens.

Many Thanks.

Thank you for your patience.

In order to be classed as a home (UK) student you normally need to meet all of the following criteria on the first day of the first academic year of the course:

  • You are settled in the UK (this means there is no immigration restriction on the length of your stay)
  • You are ordinarily resident in the UK, and have been for the full three years before the first day of the academic year. (Ordinarily resident means that your main home is in the UK, and you are choosing to live in the UK.)
  • The main reason for you being in the UK was not to receive full-time education.

From the given input, your son would be classified as a home student for tuition fee purposes.

Please don`t forget to rate the answer.

Many thanks and all the best.

Vineet S and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you