Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Can I put my ex share of my house in to trust for children

Can I put my ex share of my house in to trust for children till they are 18 to top it up with my mortgage To keep my house
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hertfordshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: everything with what are my rights with house and children

Hi thank you for your message, can you put your ex's share of the house in to trust for your children?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I don’t know what I can or can’t do anymore.We have split up 3 years ago been together nearly 10 never married 2 children.
He sold the house bought himself a new one outright and we put together £145000 For new one ( £115000 from sale
Of the house and I top it up with savings )for me and children and he has taken joint mortgage with me which I am paying most of it (£1300 and he is paying 150) 3 years ago he promised that I would have to give him only back what he is paying towards the mortgage when girls will grow up and the 15000 on top as the £100000 was for me.Now everything is changing he is saying that I have to give him back half sell the house and go rent.Not sure what are my rights if he can force the sell of the house and take his money.I wanted to sell the house give him some back and move back closer to children school as I am travelling nearly 20 miles and is a bit cheaper now than it was 3 years ago.What should I do and where should I start be the law ? Please help as my mortgage is up for new deal and I don’t think he will sing it.

Hi thank you for your message, if the house is jointly owned then he is entitled to half the equity in the house as are you so you could sell the house and split the equity then you could buy one closer to your children's school. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I know that he is entitled to that but can he force the sell to give him the money back knowing for fact that if I will I will not afford to buy house as I will have only £100000 plus mortgage 140000 where the houses are starting from 350000 where we live and back around the schools ?

He can go to court to get an order to force you to sell. You can object but you will need to convince the court why the house should not be sold. Your argument would be that you need to provide a home for the children and that is only achievable with the current level of finance. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.