How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14358
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

A hospital in UK has agreed to rectify a incorrect diagnosis

This answer was rated:

A hospital in UK has agreed to rectify a incorrect diagnosis on my medical records. They have written to me but this can only be attached to my file in my GP's and does not legally rectify my records. What information should be sent to my GP to allow them to legally add a rectification to my notes. No one it appears is able to answer this, not even NHS England new if there was a special procedure or form. Does anyone know what this process is. It cannot just be a letter sent to me.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Independent advocate, ICO intervened twice. Hospital has written and acknowledged is no clinical evidence or tests for carried out for illness. Have written to me but my GP still has no information.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Discovered diagnosis in 2017. Epilepsy? Was placed on my notes in 1994 by visiting doctor who gained access to me at NHS clinic. He discharged me from clinic after insisting I have tests done at MOD hospital. Which he then removed and used for a published paper. They were never entered into my records. Discovered this in 2017 and asked for a rectification which hospital seemed to agree on Dec 2019 but no information sent to GP practice

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

The hospital needs to make an addendum medical record (which reflects the correct information to attach to the former record. If they do not do this, a complaint to the NHS Trust should be made - which Hospital are we talking about here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
St Thomas's

Thanks, ***** *****'t sure if you have made a complaint to them yet. If not then you should do so. The complaints email address is***@******.***. Or you can submit it via their online form :

If dissatisfied with the outcome of the NHS complaint, you can then appeal to the Parliamentary Health & Social Care Ombudsman. You can also exert pressure by referring the matter to your local Healthwatch - (who are patients consumer champions) / report this to the local press and your local MP.

errors are made with medical notes - sometimes it is the patient's fault if they have trouble with memory, other times it is because the doctor has been negligent or misheard. They have a duty to ensure records are accurate though - given how vital an accurate medical record is for a patient if they need ongoing treatment in the future.

So the complaint would hopefully resolve this. If not then the Ombudsman can step in (the Parliamentary Health & Social Care Ombudsman -

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. Can you believe I have had an medical advocate withdraw after 7 months as she found them impossible to deal with. The ICO has intervened twice and they have still not actually moved on anything. I spoke to NHS England today and they suggest my CCG and of course my MP. It is difficult as they are aware that it is a deliberate falsification to place on a published paper by a visiting doctor, who discharged me from the clinic. I saw a doctor in last few days after 26 years. They are very touchy on the subject and won't engage at all. I will do the MP and CCG route and copy in a few others along the way including Keir Starmmer, a barrister himself. There is a big issue in Southwark at the moment regarding healthcare. The local MP is gunning for the CCG so hopefully the more people I involve the better. Thankyou for your help and excuse the bad typing.

No problem, you will see the list of directors here: and you should be able to copy them in by email - their "*****@******.***" - that should also work.
Many thanks, ***** ***** luck with it and have a good evening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you