Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have subscribed to Media for broadband at home in June

I have subscribed to Virgin Media for broadband at home in June 2020. The installation date was set for the 14th of July, on that same day it was rescheduled by Virgin Media to the 29th of July. Today, I have received an email informing me that the installation will take place on September 9th 2020.
Are there any legal steps I can take against them or to get compensation from them? I have to work from home and can't be kept waiting for wifi installation at home. If I had known that Virgin Media cannot provide the service they promote and promise, I would have changed to a different provider weeks ago. Thank you!

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Jamie, this took quite a while, thanks anyway. How much compensation could I claim in court for a case like this?

I dont think it would be more than £20,000 or so.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok, thank you!