How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5089
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I was convicted in 2004 for rape and false imprisonment is

This answer was rated:

Hi I was convicted in 2004 for rape and false imprisonment is there any chance of appeal I am on SOR for life as well.
JA: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?
Customer: I never appealed
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: The lady who agreed to sex was a prostitute from derby
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello I may assist you today.

I am a criminal law solicitor advocate.

You were convicted 16 years ago, did you enter a guilty plea or were you found guilty after a trial.?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I pleaded not guilty I had 2 more co defendants my sentence was 11 years
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
There were psychiatric reports but my barrister did not show them to jury
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
My reason for appeal is that I was under duress and also I was mentally ill at the time

Ok thanks.

due to the vast time period, you are way outside appeal time.

After conviction and sentence, you have 28 days to seek advice from counsel and lodge an appeal against conviction, sentence or both.

Outside of the 28 days, you can make an application to the court of appeal, for leave out of time to appeal. There were have to be exceptional circumstances for them to grant an appeal after 28 day, let alone 16 years.

If you have new overwhelming evidence that was not available at the time of your trial and conviction, that shows your innocence, then you could have a case to take to the Criminal Cases review commission.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I was living in Nottingham when this offence happend and the court was Nottingham crown court
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
can you take it to the ccrc
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Also what if a new psychiatric report says that I was ill
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Is this new evidence
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
what do you say?

When was the report from

Were you unwell 16 years with a mental illness? If so where people aware of that and did you raise this matter with your lawyers.?

Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry with JustAnswer.

Can I assist further?

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

james bruce and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you