james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I was convicted in 2004 for rape and false imprisonment is

Hi I was convicted in 2004 for rape and false imprisonment is there any chance of appeal I am on SOR for life as well.
JA: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?
Customer: I never appealed
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: The lady who agreed to sex was a prostitute from derby
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello I may assist you today.

I am a criminal law solicitor advocate.

You were convicted 16 years ago, did you enter a guilty plea or were you found guilty after a trial.?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I pleaded not guilty I had 2 more co defendants my sentence was 11 years
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
There were psychiatric reports but my barrister did not show them to jury
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My reason for appeal is that I was under duress and also I was mentally ill at the time

Ok thanks.

due to the vast time period, you are way outside appeal time.

After conviction and sentence, you have 28 days to seek advice from counsel and lodge an appeal against conviction, sentence or both.

Outside of the 28 days, you can make an application to the court of appeal, for leave out of time to appeal. There were have to be exceptional circumstances for them to grant an appeal after 28 day, let alone 16 years.

If you have new overwhelming evidence that was not available at the time of your trial and conviction, that shows your innocence, then you could have a case to take to the Criminal Cases review commission.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I was living in Nottingham when this offence happend and the court was Nottingham crown court
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
can you take it to the ccrc
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Also what if a new psychiatric report says that I was ill
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is this new evidence
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
what do you say?

When was the report from

Were you unwell 16 years with a mental illness? If so where people aware of that and did you raise this matter with your lawyers.?

Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry with JustAnswer.

Can I assist further?

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.