Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have questions regard my staturatory sick pay. Cambridge,

Hi, I have questions regard my staturatory sick pay.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cambridge
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am agency worker I am the care assistant with elderly people.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think my employer don't pay me correctly, I want to ask question about

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Please provide some more details of your circumstances.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I am British citizen ,I am of sick since 9th of May for covid-19 my employer pay me ssp
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
but,First 4 days no payment ,next doctor certificate ag84 days no payment ,the on 12th July till 19th July, no payment, they want to have some payment to pay me 1 week longer then my sick time.Beciouse I have had very bad coronavirus infection 5 weeks in hospital I am not fit to work, I will be longer on sick notice. My employer said that each time when I send doctors certificate, they won't pay me again 4 first day.I lost already 8 day ,it is correct?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I know I am eligible for 28 ssp,but if they will deduct 4 days of each certificate ,I will loose quite a lot days.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I am working for Care Agency form 2012 ,I never was ill, covid-19 is my first time sick time I have earn more than £120 per week
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Could you answer for my questions please

Thank you. What the employer is doing is not correct. Whilst they do not have to pay you for the first 4 days of sickness absence (these are called waiting days), they cannot ad 4 days each time you send in a new certificate. This is still the same absence the reasons are the same and you have not returned to work before going off again. So the waiting days should only apply at the start of the absence period and then when you submit a new certificate you simply extend the existing sick ness leave, without triggering new waiting days each time. So the employer should be paying you SSP continuously, apart from the initial 4 days when you originally went off sick for this reason.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
thank you

All the best