SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

Is it possible to go to India and then come back to the UK

Hi, is it possible to go to India and then come back to the UK with less than 6 months validity on my Indian passport. I have an Indian passport expiring early May 2021 and I need to travel to India in November 2020 and return to the UK in early January 2021. I have permanent residency ( Infinite leave to remain) of the UK. Please help me with me query? Thanks Anjana
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: My citizenship is Indian and I have Indefinite leave to remain ( visa) of UK
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I live in London and want to visit India from late November 2020 till early January 2021. But my Indian passport will have less than 6 months validity when I do this journey. Will that be okay or would that cause problem during immigration at one or both countries? Thanks

Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience

The UK unlike other countries does not require your passport to have a certain minimum number of months of validity to admit you into the country. If you are however travelling through other countries you need to check with those countries or indeed with your airline as there are some countries that require your passport to have at least 6 months.

I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience All the best

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks I will check with Indian Embassy about the passport time there but would UK immigration team be okay to let me in with less than 6 months expiry of my passport. Please note I have Indian passport

Hi, I have seen your call request, do you want me to call you within the next 5 mins?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
please

You will be ok dont worry. just check where you are transiting through other countries as they may need you to have at least 6 months. all the best

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thankyou very much. So as discussed even if I take a connecting flight to India j will not be leaving the airport at the transit. I will however take direct flight to India if available. So that should not be a problem is what I understand. Thanks for your help.

It should not be a problem, however I can only advise you on what the UK will certainly do or not do. For other transit countries you want to check with the airline to make sure you will be ok.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks that's very helpful

No problem, glad i could help