12826847

I have a client who was due to be married in a few weeks

Hi there! I have a client who was due to be married in a few weeks time. I am a wedding photographer. I sent the client the booking details and contract which are on the same page of my website. They paid their booking fee in Februaury and I hadn't heard from them since. I reached out a couple of weeks ago, as I always do with my clients 4-6 weeks before the day to get the details of their wedding day. It was only then that the client replied saying they have decided to cancel their wedding, 5 weeks from the date. My contract states they owe 50% of their remaining balance but the client is saying he will not pay it, his exuse being he didn't see the contract on the page.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: As far as I am aware, a contract does not have to be signed as long as the client has seen it and agreed to the service with the booking fee. I am in the UK!
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I have been in touch with Consumerline in the UK who have advised me (before I reached out to the client) that I am entitled to the cancelation fee but the client still refuses. I would rather not take this to court but I don't know where I stand fully. I hope you can help, thanks so much.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's everything so far thank you!

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Jo. Thanks so much.

It doesn't matter whether he saw it or not. If a person signs a contract they are bound by it's terms unless they offend for other reasons.

However, this one does. You only have a claim for the sum of your loss. You cannot levy charges I'm afraid.

That may very well be the amount you are trying to claim. It depends whether or not you can find other work for the day.

You would have to prove you had looked and could not.

If you cannot then you could sue for your loss.

Please remember to rate my answer 5 stars because giving a 5 starrating really helps me.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Jo, where do I stand if the client didn't sign the contract?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
As a wedding photographer with only 5 weeks to go, there was no way I would have booked another wedding for that date and I have been marketing during lockdown too.

Then you have a claim for the sum of your loss.

You will need to prove you tried.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks a bunch Jo! Really appreciate the help.