Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

When I signed my furlough contract with the company I used

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: When I signed my furlough contract with the company I used to work for, they promised me that I'm not signing my redundancy. At the moment it looks like I did. Can they get rid of me this way?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Today I received a mail, with an appointment for a meeting on friday. The subject of the mail is redundancy meetings. Sent by a director, and head of HR.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: furloughed employee, no unions
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is not much more to describe in it I think, only details in depth of the subject. I hope it gives the picture of what is going on. They are planning to sack 20-21 people in one go. Thx in advance

No they cannot get rid of you in this way, they would still need to go through the usual redundancy process such as notice and pay, as well as consultation. With the number of potential redundancies you mentioned there is a formal process for such redundancies which you can see here:

https://www.gov.uk/staff-redundant/redundancy-consultations

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.