Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have recently left my flat and moved into a new one but I

Hi, I have recently left my flat and moved into a new one but I am still stuck under contract in my old one and they are still asking me to pay full rent when I am not even living there, is there any way out of it? cheers Susanne
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, Camden
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have tried to find a new tenant, I also gave notice in May and paid rent up to the end of June
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The landlord company fee[p failing to get back to me and have said they would list the property in various estate agents and have failed to do so

Hi Susanne, did you provide notice according to your lease? Is there a notice period in the lease?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I emailed them on the 15th May and they said I needed to get a new tenant in there but which I haven't managed to do so yet but they also said they would get estate agents to help me find new tenants which they have not done
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
is there any chance to come out?

I see yes, they might have said that but I suspect that is not in your tenancy agreement. So you need to check the tenancy agreement and see if it allows you to leave the lease early i.e. does it have a notice period, can you give notice and end the agreement. If not then you are bound into the contract until the contract finishes or you can find someone else to take over the tenancy. If the agents will not help you which neither they nor the landlord are obliged to do then you will need to just do it yourself. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.