How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1778
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I had some flooring in November last year. When the work men

This answer was rated:

Hi, I had some flooring laid in November last year. When the work men left it looked a mess with bubbles everywhere, cuts showing in the Lino and what looked like stones underneath it. I took pictures and videos when they left and sent them to the company. They did send someone out but they arrived late and it didn't show up as much as it does in the day but did say it wasn't right. They took their own pictures and I waited over a month for them to get in touch saying they wanted to send someone else out which I agreed but told them they needed to come before a certain time as I was going out but they arrived an hour later when I wasn't in so I had to wait another month. Someone did come out beginning of February and said it needed new flooring as it wasn't repairable so again I had to wait. I emailed then a few weeks later but no reply , I then telephone them but could not not through and did this for a full week then the lock down happened so I had to wait. They did call me on the 3rd of July asking again for photos, I sent them and a video. After several phone calls they eventually told me to put silicone over the cuts and the other damage is to do with the sub floor. I asked them if they where going to do anything about it and they said no, I did tell them I would be taking it further but they didn't seem bothered. I paib
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Manchester
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: several phone calls 16 to be precise and thats just from my mobile, I have also sent several emails
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It wasn't cheap Vinyl I paid £650


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

From the circumstances given it appears your rights under the consumers rights act 2015 has been breached. This is because it states services provided must be performed with reasonable care and skill and goods provided must be fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. In view of the works undertaken it appears both the service given and the goods supplied did not meet the standards expected.

In view of this you have a number of remedies available to you to ensure you are not left with a substandard work to your flooring.

Before I proceed to discuss the remedies do you understand what I have stated so far? If yes I will proceed.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I do understand but I have just been told that the ombudsman should be free, I have paid the £5 asked and when I read further it says I would be £50 thereafter if not cancelled. So could you please explain what will happen if you do proceed?


Please ignore the automated call request whilst I type out your response.

With regards ***** ***** you will need to speak to customer service as I am here to assist you only. Further rating the assistance provided does not come at any extra costs.

Turning to the issue the remedies available to you is price reduction which can be up to 100% of the amount paid, repairs until the issue is fixed and you can consider hiring someone else to do the job and then claim the money back from the people that did the defective works.

In view of this I suggest you write to the company and remind them of your rights under the Consumers Rights Act 2015. Inform them that if the floor is not fixed within 14 days you will get someone else to fix the door and then you will seek to recover the money paid from them. Further notify them you will also report them to the trading standards too. You can do so using the link below:

Assuming they dont respond to you I suggest you report them to

Trading standards and also get a quote to fix the matter. Send the quote to them and advise them if payment is not made within*****action will be commenced.

With regards ***** ***** action I suggest you instruct a local solicitor or return to JA and we can assist you with regards ***** ***** the form and advising you on the court process.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know

However if I have clarified the position please before you leave JA today please rate the assistance provided by clicking on the 5 star button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in future.


Customer: replied 14 days ago.
You have, I will get in touch with them tomorrow morning and see what they say

Ok no problem.

Have a good night and thanks for the rating in advance.

Anthony Chendo and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you