UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I made a board game and my girlfriend produced the artwork

Hi. I made a board game and my girlfriend produced the artwork for it. We have since separated and now she wants to claim the IP and ask me to backdate royalty payments (th game was launched in December 2019). I'd just like to know what my legal position is. Must I comply to her request? We had no written agreement at the time she created the artwork.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Scotland
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No and no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

If she created the IP, she is the owner of it as she has not signed it over to you. So, yes, you should comply with her request I am afraid.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you. What would be considered reasonable terms, or is there no such thing?And another question: when I come to redesign the artwork to avoid the royalties payment, what are the top considerations I should be aware of?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Another question on the matter of IP: to when should it be backdated? And isn't there an implied acceptance of my use of it, given she didn't make the request for royalties until after we separated?

I have answered your questions.