How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10507
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I signed a contract with a tele-marketing agency where they

This answer was rated:

Hi, I signed a contract with a tele-marketing agency where they were supposed to work 60 hours a month and target 5 meetiings with prospective clients for me. I beleive they did not do any work and send me dodgy weekly updates that said 'discussions with the following companies who are expressing an interest in ....' Is there a basis for a case against them to refund my money back by asking them to prove that they did 60 hours of work They also charged me for a month post-contract. They emailed me saying they would refund it, but have not for the past 6 months
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Basingstoke. My name is ***** ***** I run a digital marketing agency
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none excepting calling thema few times and emailing them thrice they were supposed to call back but did not
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope, just that in our first calls they promised to deliver 5 leads and accept a payment only on that basis, but they changed it in the contract and sweet-talked me into signing it

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

Yes, you can allege breach of contract on their part. This is a business-to-business contract so consumer rights do not apply but contract law does. Not only have they under-performed but it seems they misled you too - which voids a contract.

Before you issue a claim, the court will expect to see a “pre-action protocol” compliant letter to give the defendant a chance to avoid litigation.
You will need to send them a letter before action to demand payment within 30 days and say that if they do not pay you, you will issue county court proceedings against them. See attached template as an example of what to say. Please let me know if you cannot see the letter which I have uploaded. You will need to tailor this letter to your situation.

You will need to register at so that you are ready to issue the claim in the event they dispute the claim and do not pay you. The website is very user-friendly and you would not need a lawyer to use the money claim site. Claims with a value of under £10,000 are classed as a "small claim", so legal costs are not recoverable and the matter may be dealt with on paper by a Judge, not at a hearing. A hearing may be necessary if the court thinks that oral evidence is required to dispose of the case.

You would claim the sum for the loss, the court issue fee (details of the money claim fees are listed here at page 5: and court interest which is 8% calculated on a daily rate from the date of loss to date of court judgment. The site allows you to calculate the interest and add it to the claim.

If you win then once you have the CCJ from the court the defendant has 14 days to pay in full. If they do not then it gets registered with the credit agencies after 30 days. You can also enforce the CCJ with the county court bailiffs or transfer the debt to the High Court for a small additional fee assuming the total amount owed is at least £600 and you can use the high court enforcement officers who have greater powers than county court bailiffs. The transfer fee is added on to the debt and payable by the defendant.

There are other enforcement methods which I can help with, including bank account freeze, charging order on their property (and then apply to force a sale), application to wind up the company if £750 or more is owed (if suing a limited company), apply to summons them to court for questioning, all of which can ensure you are actually repaid the money.

You may find they just pay you after receiving the letter before action – hopefully they will want to avoid litigation.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up questions at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Great. Thanks a lot for this response. 2 questions.1)I do nto have evidence (call recording) of the initial calls where they sais they would charge me only upon results, but I had put it on an email , when I complained AFTER the contract was over. Would this do for the misleading part? 2) Should I ask for proof of the 60 hours they were supposed to have worked in the 'pre-action' protocol letter? 3) can they easily cook up evidence for having worked those 60 hours? 4) if the pre-action complaint letter does not work, may I come to you to file as strong a case as you can on them (the claim amount is GBP 5400 including the GBP 1800 they were supposed to owe me) - how much would this cost, roughly?