Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I took a deposit on an antique games table in March of this

Customer Question

I took a deposit on an antique games table in March of this year. It was offered for sale for £1800. She paid a deposit of £100 and a further payment 2 days later of £400. A month ago she paid a further amount of £500. There was never a question of allowing her time to pay. Can I return the £1000 and cancel the contract
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None. I received a phone call from her 2 weeks ago saying that there would be a delay because she had to spend money on her home improvements but I felt morally responsible to give her time,
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not want to sell it to her now because of the time it has taken. I do not have another buyer in mind but I dont want to be taken for a ride
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Was there any agreement about how long to pay?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No. I expected it within the week
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
All I want to know is it legal for me to cancel the contract bearing in mind their was no contract in the first place.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can I just return the money and forget it or am I under a legal obligation to continue with the arrangement
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

But was it agreed within a week?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

It sounds as if you want to know whether you should keep the item or refund the customer.

If it was not agreed, then yes you may return it.

That is because there was no timeframe discussed.

So yes, you can return it and then sell your item.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not might I invite you to leave me a positive rating before you go, this ensures the site credits me for the time spent answering your question.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.