How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NewExpertAS4920 Your Own Question
NewExpertAS4920, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 269
Experience:  -
Type Your Law Question Here...
NewExpertAS4920 is online now

What options one has if an international student has

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: what options one has if an international student has problems and no longer can pay his university fees?
JA: Where is he? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sussex University
JA: What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: he has only spoken to the university and they sent him a letter asking him of proposing what he wants and can do , he has just finished his second year and remain one more year
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am looking to find out if in the uk you have a law or similar for example in Jordan an international student can pay 25% of the outstanding fees and pay monthly the remainder over three or four years as agreed with uni... even if it is after he graduates...
Hi! I am a qualified solicitor in England and Wales. I will be assisting you with your query today. I may need to ask a few questions before I can address your query.Please bear in mind this is a chat service and there may be delays in responding due to assisting other customers.
What is the outstanding balance?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
There is £12,900 this year and there will be another £15,500 this year 2020-21 (final year)
Have you taken out any loan to assist with the fees? Also are you working at the same time?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Not working
And no loans
International student...
In that case your options are to either come to an affordable arrangement with your university I.e. The fees to be paid for a certain time in installments or defer your year. This may mean you return to your home country, save up the requisition amount and then return to the UK to finish off your studies.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Is there a standard or legal amount that one can agree with university?Would one be able to merge the old with the new amount and make one agreement and settlement over a long period of few years?
It all depends on your circumstances and what the uni is willing to accept. The offer you make should be a reasonable one in line with your income/savings/plans etc.Whether the uni adds both years fees together will be totally up to them.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What would a reasonable offer be,taking into consideration that since COVID-19 family income has been 0 do you due to the father works overseas
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
still there are no flights and it is not safe to go back
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Deferring the year is not a option because of the visa will be difficult to get the visa again
Noted. You need to inform the uni of all your circumstances. Just have an honest conversation with them. Tell them exactly how much you can afford and the visa implications for deferring the cause. See what they say.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you
My pleasure. Please kindly accept my answer. I'd really appreciate a 5* rating. Best wishes
NewExpertAS4920 and other Law Specialists are ready to help you