SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I bought a house with an ex partner in 2008. the

Customer Question

Good morning, I bought a house with an ex partner in 2008. the relationship ended in 2011 and she moved out. When she moved out the mortgage was approx £10000 in arrears. At that time the house was in negative equity as well due to the the value of house prices.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Leyland Lancashire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have not had any contact with her since she moved out, I have been to court to stop repossession and made an agreement with the mortgage company to pay back the arrears and continue to pay the mortgage
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what exactly is is my exporter entitled to if the house is sold. When we bought the house I paid a £20000 deposit she did not pay any of the deposit.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 17 days ago.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience. If the title deeds show you as joint tenants and without specification of different levels of equity entitlement then regrettably you would be sharing the equity equally, However you could offer to buy her out and in that you can justify giving her a lot less than half taking into account the actual financial contribution which you made to the purchase of the property. I hope this helps. All the best.