How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4213
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I bought a house with an ex partner in 2008. the

Customer Question

Good morning, I bought a house with an ex partner in 2008. the relationship ended in 2011 and she moved out. When she moved out the mortgage was approx £10000 in arrears. At that time the house was in negative equity as well due to the the value of house prices.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Leyland Lancashire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have not had any contact with her since she moved out, I have been to court to stop repossession and made an agreement with the mortgage company to pay back the arrears and continue to pay the mortgage
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what exactly is is my exporter entitled to if the house is sold. When we bought the house I paid a £20000 deposit she did not pay any of the deposit.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 17 days ago.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience. If the title deeds show you as joint tenants and without specification of different levels of equity entitlement then regrettably you would be sharing the equity equally, However you could offer to buy her out and in that you can justify giving her a lot less than half taking into account the actual financial contribution which you made to the purchase of the property. I hope this helps. All the best.