SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I am 67 years of age and in poor health. Have lived in same

Customer Question

I am 67 years of age and in poor health . Have lived in same council property in Chelmsford for 5 years.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have been in touch with Chelmsford council and chp who I rent from
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: I cannot afford it as on benefits..
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is making me very ill and am worried it is getting worse
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 6 days ago.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience. You need to speak to the local authority about your difficulties and they may assist you with looking into applying for housing benefit. I am very sorry to hear of your situation, you need however to contact them before you build up arrears and faced with eviction. I hope this helps and all the best.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am on housing benefit already.. it’s about neighbours making lots of noise ??
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It sounds like this is a con.. I’ve already paid £5 for advice which your response is not what I expected!!!
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Disgraceful.. will be looking into how you can do this to vulnerable people ??

I am not sure what your last couple of messages are saying. What is disgraceful? You question was not very specific, if there is any need for clarification then I am happy to guide you further. You do not need to pay anymore than you have already paid if you are happy to chat by typing, you only get additional charges if you opt for premium services such as phone calls or drafting. If you cannot afford these you just ignore any offers, JA will not charge you for service that you have not accepted.

Your initial question seemed to say that you are in council housing and you cannot afford it since you are on benefits. But clearly this is not your question. About the noisy neighbours have you complained to the council please and if so has any action been taken?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am disappointed because I did reply to say I was on benefits.. and I came to you for help but it seems I was wrong.. I paid faithfully the £ 5 hoping I would get a better response.. have spoken to council but getting no help with my situation. Hence why I contacted you!!

I am a solicitor and your question was forwarded to me to only advice you on your legal rights. I do not know what you pay to JA. The information that was sent to me is copied for you below, nothing said it was to do with noise nuisance. You may have received a call offer but you will not have been charged for it. You only get charged if you accept the offer, they are automatic offers because some people prefer to talk on the phone but where you do not you just ignore the offer and keep on with typing. I am happy to guide you if you still wish for guidance if not let me know and I will opt out:

JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have been in touch with Chelmsford council and chp who I rent from
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: I cannot afford it as on benefits..
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is making me very ill and am worried it is getting wo

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The page was obviously not taking my concerns or relaying what I was writing to you.. it was not my mistake.. I could only write a little because the page was not working properly and could not write what I wanted as it was not allowing me to.. that’s why the confusion.. thank you for your help but I am hoping for a response from the number I called to answer my question how you can charge for no advice .. and then expect £ 44 for a phone call to speak when I already said I could not afford to see a solicitor because I am disabled and in benefits...!!

Have you been charged £44 please because on this screen where I am typing it does not say you have been charged more than the £5 you would have paid initially? If you have been charged you do not have to take the call, let me know and I will advise you of where to send your request to get a refund.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No I haven’t been charged as yet!! And hope I don’t .. I paid £ 5 for advice but got none.. just told me to contact housing/ council.. wasn’t asked if I already had!!! But told you in my response I did.. still charged me for £5 for that when my initial request was relayed to you !!

In that case you will not be getting a phone call and you will not be charged for the phone call. You only got the offer and since you have not accepted it I have not been asked to call you.

Ok, to save you time and to give me some information to work with can you kindly tell me what is the issue and what you are looking to do and I will give you legal guidance on how to go about what you set out to achieve please.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Really all I needed was some guidance from or a solicitor that helps me with my situation and who deals with people like myself who cannot afford a solicitor .. maybe one who relates to free legal aid.. thanking you for your help ..

But what is your situation and I could guide you. If you need representation for free it would not be legal aid, it would be from the citizens advise bureau or if you manage to secure a pro bono barrister from the bar council.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you .. I don’t know anything reg..pro bono barrister to be honest.. citizens advice here in Chelmsford are very very busy and could take months year before I even get an appointment it seems ..

You are welcome. You can contact the Bar Council during the week on these details and ask for their pro bono service contact details they will help you if at all possible.

All the best.