How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78450
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been falsely reported for theft to the police. My

Customer Question

hello, I have been falsely reported for theft to the police. My housemate gave me a TV she didn't want/didn't have space for as a gift and it's been in my room for 2 months. Now she suddenly wants it back saying she only borrowed it to me. She even gave me the packaging/box it came in since it was a gift. Can I get convicted for this?
JA: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?
Customer: she only just made the report a few days ago in an email. The police haven't actually responded. I only know this because she's been talking about it/slandering me online.
JA: Where did the theft occur?
Customer: we live in a shared house, I moved in in November and she moved in 2 months ago. we used to be friends when she gave it to me
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She owes me money that I transferred to her for Japanese lessons (she used to be my teacher). I never got the lessons and I never got the money back. She also mentioned that I am an immigrant and that I could get deported if I get conviccted. I feel discriminated against since this is the first thing she mentioned to her online fanbase
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
hello, does she have a case against me? can I be charged for a gift? she said she has a witness but there was no one else there
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Thanks for the information

The reality is that youcould be. If they believe her lies thenyou could be.

What you have to do is fightit at court if you are charged.

But sometimes people areconvicted unsafely.

Not often with juries butsometimes.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Hopefully, Ihave answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. Ifanything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. Inthe meantime, thank you once again for using our services.