ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

Me and my friend were on a trip in a rented van from London

Customer Question

Greetings.
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Me and my friend were on a trip in a rented van from London to Gibraltar and back to bring some books for distribution. We separated in Paris, I took a plane to Austria and he continued to London. After he got of the ferry in dover, at the border check the police discovered a man in the van, some migrant who got in at an unattended moment and smuggled himself to UK. now my friend is being accused of smuggling people into UK and threatened with different punishments. He/we have nothing to do with this migrant guy. Please, kindly give an advice on what is his position our what steps should be taken. Also, we have to return the van tomorrow and I don't know how long they can keep him in custody... Thank you so much.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: He is now in dover I suppose, we spoke the last time before noon
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: He was interrogated by the police. We spoke a bit about the basic trouble, then he cut off. So no real steps were taken from our side.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at the moment
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 10 days ago.

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 10 days ago.

This is a criminal matter. So, There is really no time frame with respect to the keeping of the van. Practically speaking, It could be kept until the investigation has been completed. You most certainly not get it back today if your friend ends up being charged.

It is completely possible for someone to sneak into the back of the van without him knowing and without him being a part of anything to smuggle migrants. However, the fact that he was caught with migrants in the back, is enough for the police to investigate. I recommend that he or you get a solicitor to assist him at this point. The solicitor may be able to assist with the question and answer interview and if he is being charged applying for bail and ultimate defending his case.

Hope I clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly take the time to indicate your acceptance of the answer given. You may do this by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

All the best

RL

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you very much for your kind reply. At the end of the day, things went somewhat smoothly, my friend was released with the notice that a civil case is filed and he we'll be able to contest that. So for now it seems that the worst is avoided. Thank you. All the best wishes.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 7 days ago.

Great I am happy for that news!