Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

We bought a home improvement company in a share sale with

Customer Question

We bought a home improvement company in a share sale with existing long term warranties to consumers which in some legacy cases we wish to legitimately transfer the responsibility for, to outside contractors who are undertaking reparations to faulty work and have their own warranties. E.G we installed a glass roof on a conservatory and it leeks and our installers cannot fix it so a roofing specialist is paid to prevent further leaks an damage and offers a direct guarantee. Is this transfer of undertakings/responsibilities permitted under UK law or would it have to be a secondary warranty as the whole point of contracting an expert is for us not to be responsible for ay other call outs unless the contractor disappeared. Need some sort of template document that at least the contractor and the consumer sign so we are not in the day to day loop?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK, England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none just have the consumers and the contractors in place and some issues
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 16 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, you could engage a contractor to handle your responsibilities under the warranty or get the consumer to sign a new agreement to transfer the warranty. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.