Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I signed up for a year meditation teacher training

Customer Question

hi there, i signed up for a year long meditation teacher training programme. This was supposed in person with the teacher. which was one full day a month in person course with a group. I attended one in person session before lockdown then the course was adapted to online and instead of being one full day a month, change to many 2 hour zoom sessions, these would be on fridays, saturdays and sundays. I tried to complete the course this way but because I have 2 toddlers, I was unable to give the time required over several days, rather than one day a month. I also wasnt getting what i wanted from the course. As if I wanted a digital meditation course I would have signed up for an online course. I quit the course, but the teacher is insisting i still pay the full £3000 fees. I have paid £500 to date and we had agreed i would pay £200 a month until the rest was paid off. Should I have to pay the remaining £1500?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: what HR? this isnt a work related question
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: are you a bot
JA: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the Lawyer more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. If there is a written contract in place I would advise that you review the contract to see if there is a Force Majeure clause or another clause which sets out when the contract can be terminated. If there is no termination clause I would advise that you write them a letter setting out your case and explain that you signed up on the basis that it would be face to face once a week. You should also state why you want to terminate the agreement and if you want to negotiate a better solution to stay in the contract you should do so. It will be for them to decide whether to claim the balance through the courts and if they do you will be able to defend your case. If the matter goes to court I would advise that you find a solicitor in your area to represent you. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/
You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you. I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner of your screen and just answer will credit me for helping you today
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
thank you that is very helpful
No problem. I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner of your screen and just answer will credit me for helping you today