How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1807
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I have a client i worked with 2 years ago of whom was

Customer Question

I have a client i worked with 2 years ago of whom was extremely difficult client who asked for tons of changes to the point where i could no longer work and they threatened to sue so i did one final round of changes and then we stopped communicating2 years later they message me saying if i dont give them facebook admin access of their own page they will sue me for the website that they paid me for and never worked (not true - i have proof the site was completed to standard) - and i have also screenshot and email proof i made them facebook admin 2 years ago with even an email confirmation from them -now they're confused and think we still have the account and have threatened to sue for the website and will put negative reviews all over the internet if i dont give them facebook admin access.i am in a position of strength and want to give them an official legal letter to tell them we have already provided this, and that the persistent threat of legal action will not be ta***** *****ghtly, and that we have screenshot + email timestamp evidence including their in own words they have facebook admin accessi want to hit back officially because i dont want another aggressive and unnecessary message in another 2 years time from them - they're really difficult
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 8 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. I would advise that you do the following:
1) Write the company a reply, formal letter setting out the issues and your claim and what you wish from them.
2) If you would like to instruct a solicitor to write the letter for you I would recommend that you contact a solicitor using the law society find a solicitor function here : You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you.
As we only working online we cannot act on your behalf and thus you need to instruct a solicitor using the link above.
I hope this helps. - if you can please accept the answer there will be a box to do so and give me a 5 star rating (top right corner of your screen) and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.