JoeN819
JoeN819,
Experience:  Expert
109896636

An organisation has published a wedding brochure online

Customer Question

An organisation has published a wedding brochure online which gives my personal, ex directory and TPS registered number as that of the Registrar. The Registrar number and my number are similar and the organisation has transposed 2 digits. I have had the number for 10 years and managed to keep it safe. The organisation are blaming me (?) and the Registrar but is unwilling to accept responsibility for the problem. Having hit a brick wall, I do not know how to proceed. Thank you.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've spoken to and emailed the organisation. I've spoken to their web designers and the Registrar office. I've also tried to complete a Google form to get the information taken down.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The organisation is being very dismissive and maintaining it is not their fault and that they were supplied with my number by the Registrar - patently untrue as my number does not appear as the contact number for the Registrar on any other website. The organisation has also suggested I register with the TPS (I have been for 10 years) or that I should invest in a call blocker (I've never needed one until now).
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Forgot to mention I have also tried the ICO - not very helpful as the GDPR does not appear to deal with personal info published by mistake.
Expert:  JoeN819 replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for your question. Happy to help

If they do not have a legal basis for holding on/processing your personal data, then next step will be to send them an erasure request. Essentially a request to delete your personal data. They have one month to either delete your data or explain why they cannot comply with your request. If they refuse to comply, or provide a legal basis for retaining your data, next step will be to make a formal complaint to the ICO.

I trust this assists. I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be credit for assisting by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. They clearly have no legal basis for publishing my data. I asked them to remove my details just over a month ago when I suddenly started to receive and inordinate number of scam calls, but my number it still visible in Google search results. I did submit a Subject Access Request and the reply was that they do not have any of my personal date other than that which I shared via email (my name and email address). I believe under GDPR the information published would have to link to an identifiable person, which an ex directory telephone number would not.
Expert:  JoeN819 replied 14 days ago.

Don't think I completely agree with that view. You can reasonably establish someones identity through a phone number. There are a few apps out there that offer this service. My advice above therefore stands

I hope this helps. I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be credit for assisting by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

Expert:  JoeN819 replied 14 days ago.

Hello - May I assist further?