How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 18419
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

A self employed guy took my van leased from northgate

Customer Question

A self employed guy took my van leased from northgate without my consent and demands money which he hasnt provided an invoice for. The police say hes within his rights and its a civil matter. I know its not, what to do??
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk hampshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: called the police reported it and said hes told me he wont give me the keys unless I pay him money. They where helpful and tried to assist getting my keys back but when I knocked the door of the self employed person in question he flared up and refused to give the keys after telling the police he would! The police where on the phone at the time. Advised to leave and it was now classes as a theft by the police! Now today they have called and said he within his rights because Im holding wages! Tried to explain that hes self employed and I dont have an invoice which when he provides me with one I have 30 days to pay. He has also cause damage to someones property which will be deducted from the invoice if he ever provides one. Im now a van down and have no where to go with it
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No tbh
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 15 days ago.

It sounds like you need to get an injunction to make him give it back to you.

You should complete forms n1

and from n16a

The court will list for hearing an decide whether for not to grant an order demanding return.

If the court does and he refuses this could be contempt of court which he may be fined, warned or sent to prison.

That should resolve it for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.