How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1808
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

We are a couple and have a lodger agreement for a double

Customer Question

We are a couple and have a lodger agreement for a double room with live-in landlord, and received recently a notice from our landlord that he wants us to move out. Landlord is overseas and is now returning back with entire family, so he would need an entire flat for himself. The contract was for min 6 month, with 1 month notice from either parties, we paid £1000 deposit when we moved in and £850+bills monthly. We paid on 3rd of each month as per contract, and on 3rd of September we paid monthly rent as usual. On 8th September we received his notice asking us to move out in 1 month, by 8th October (on the 9th October he is returning to UK), and then said will inspect the flat and return our deposit. We believe he acted unfairly, as he just received our full rent payment and just few days later sent in his notice. We have been left with no deposit money or enough income because of this to be able to put in a deposit for a new place that we will find. Moreover my partner is self-employed and due to covid situation is only able to work 1 day per week, and myself is on furlough. Will appreciate your advice. Thank you. Kind regards, Nadia
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 8 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. I would advise that you write a letter to your landlord setting out your claim and what you want from him i.e more time to find accommodation. I would also advise that you contact your local council as they may be able to help you find a new property and/or emergency housing based on your circumstances and what you can afford. You can find your local council here: The council may also be able to help you financially to help you towards a deposit for a new home to rent.

I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer, there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.