james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Can you get bail for something else, even though you where

Customer Question

Can you get bail for something else, even though you where on bail already for something else
JA: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?
Customer: The first charge he had was for theft, the second case he’s now on remand for is intent to supply class a
JA: Where did the theft occur?
Customer: im not sure, it was someone else who took money from a police officer but my partner had £30 of the £3600 of the money stolen so he was charged with that
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He was already on gps tag
Expert:  james bruce replied 7 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Are you asking about police bail pre charge, or court bail after charge?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Court bail after charge
Expert:  james bruce replied 6 days ago.

Hello sorry for delay.

If a person was already on court bail for an offence, then commits a new offence or is charged with committing a new offence, then yes, they can be given bail for the new matter.

However, if the new offence is serious, which possession with intent to supply class A is, then as the new alleged offence was committed whilst on bail, ALL bail can be revoked and the person sent to prison on remand.

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.
please accept and rate answer by clicking on the star rating. If you need further assistance please come back to me.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is that based on the evidence they have or does it not matter

If the person has been charged, the court refusing bail only gets to hear part of the evidence in relation to a bail application.

i would assume it was the magistrates who refused bail?

Is the case going to Crown court?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
it is now going to crown court

Then in that case, if it was magistrates who refused bail, then your lawyers can apply for a bail application at the crown court.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
they said they are going to do that, but I just wanted to know, if people have been granted bail before and also because he is the only other person I have to look after our daughter especially during this COVID time, I really need him out

The problem would be that the new charge was allegedly committed whilst on bail, so bail was breached. The court would look at that as a breach of trust whilst on bail. The new offence is serious, so the judge when considering bail would have to consider likelihood of committing further offences whilst on bail. This new allegation would show that as a risk as they have already allegedly done that.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Alright thank you for your help

Your very welcome, make sure the lawyer makes the bail application ASAP.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.
please accept answer and rate by clicking the stars