How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4176
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I blüht an ensuite Rom in a guesrWhat can I do If my

Customer Question

I blüht an ensuite Rom in a guesrWhat can I do If my 'guaranteed' rent is not fully paid out by the 'Manager'?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I bought an ensuite room in a guest House for which the Management promised a guaranteed rent of 1200GBP each quarter, for 3 years. That was 5 years ago and I have still not receivd it all. They say the property has deteriorated since I bought it and it needs renovating for 7500GBP. I paid 50.000GBP and they are offering me 5000GBP if I want to sell up! any advice?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have written many Emails demanding they pay up. I threatenned with a Lawyer and got a couple payments. Now I have threatenned again and they have weakened on one or two accounts but I still need backing.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I live in Germany but am here for 2 weeks to try to get this sorted out. I fly out Sept. 15th p.m. and plan to meet the manager at the property that morning, hopefully with a letter from my lawyer.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 6 days ago.

Hi, if you have the terms and conditions that state the guaranteed rental then you should pursue them for breach o contract and for the sums that have accrued over the years. If you do not have an address for service in the UK it may be best to engage a solicitor to represent you. The value of your claim if below £10,000.00 can be pursued via the moneyclaimsonline website. I hope this helps and all the best.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
This is in Southport UK.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Can an ensuite room depreciate over 5-6 years from 50,000 to 5000GBP? I thought property was meant to accumulate value. The manager says no one else will buy it off me but he will and that the property is only as valuable as the price someone is prepared to pay - that's him with 5000. He has in the mean time asked me to name my price considering the things he has told me (degeneration, no one wants to buy etc)
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 5 days ago.

Hi, property market does fluctuate however the prices do not tend to fluctuate significantly in such a short space of time especially where the only real knock has been in the current year with covid-19. You may perhaps ask for evidence of effort to sell where he has not been successful before agreeing to such a low value offer.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hi, so I visited the property 15th Sept. and met with the manager. He told me the original sale and rental agreement was nothing to do with him but with a certain gentleman who worked for Manchesterrealestate (Crown World Investments)He took time to show me around and back peddled on some action he had wanted to take to improve the property such as buy new furniture and mattress for my room and put in a completely new communal kitchen. Having viewed both, I said there was no need for either. He is frustrated as the freeholder, that he cannot make decisions without asking those of us who own rooms.The original rental offer 5 years ago was 1200 GBP every quarter - with NO extra expenses whatsoever! We investors were advised that this price and the value of the property would increase. Instead it has dropped to 300 GBP per quarter after the present manager says that this is what the present running costs and his commission allow.My leading question: If I were to sue the sales manager (who sold the ensuite room to me 5 yrs ago for 50.000 GBP, promising high returns and ever increasing rent and property value) for breach of contract, after failing to pay out some of the guaranteed rent, WOULD I WIN?The present manager says that to him, the room is not worth more than 5000 GBP, and who else would want to buy the room for more than that considering what low profit they would be making out of it. (he has not yet tried to sell his own three rooms but would like to sell out.Thank you
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 1 day ago.

Hi, thank you for your message, i am just about to start driving so please bear with me and I will reply as soon as possible.

Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 1 day ago.

Hi thank you for your patience. If your agreement states the guaranteed rent then if they have failed to pay thst rent yes it would be breach of contract and you will have reasonable prospects of success if you pursued them. I do not think any lawyer can say to you yes you will WIN without seeing the response say to the letter before action and reviewing your file of papers. Now unless the promises yu make reference to were reduced to writing and form part of your agreement you will struggle to convince a court to make a ruling based on what may have been said verbally in a sales pitch but that cannot be evidenced with tangible evidence. Sales people do bluff a lot regrettably.

Customer: replied 12 hours ago.
Thanks. Also when do my 5 GBP run out and is the payment of 50 per month automatic or can I cancel That? I will give you a good write up!
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 8 hours ago.

Good afternoon. I do not know about membership and fees as I only have access to the platform to a list of questions. From my understanding if you signed up for membership you can always cancel when you wish and payments will stop. The best is to email***@******.*** they will be able to give you direct answers.

Customer: replied less than 1 hour ago.
Thanks. Is there any way to get documents to you?
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied less than 1 hour ago.

You are welcome. If it is just a few documents you can attach here, I believe there is a link where you can do it yourself, alternatively you could email to***@******.***