SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

Hope you might be able to give me a steer on this matter? I

Hi Pearl, hope you might be able to give me a steer on this matter?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have a question about whether a public body, who is also a charity and is controlled by it's own parliamentary act, can legally restrict the number of licenses it offers to the public for use of its public facilities.The body in question is Wimbledon and Putney Commons Conservators ('the charity') was registered on 14 April 1972. It is governed by an Act of Parliament, the Wimbledon and Putney Commons Act 1871. The charity's objects are to preserve the land under its jurisdiction as open spaces for the purposes of exercise and recreation.2 Jul 2020.I am a commercial dog walker and as such, am allowed to legally walk a maximum of 4 dogs on Wimbledon Common. However the WPCC deems it fair to license 24 selected dog walkers to walk a maximum of 6 dogs. Does this law breach the 2018 Equalities Act?The reason I ask, is that I recently heard a radio interview with London Mayor, Sadiq Khan, who when questioned why the number of private hire taxi licenses for London could NOT be limited, he said it was illegal to grant licenses to some, but not to others.https://www.wpcc.org.uk/latest-news/news/post/148-results-of-the-commercial-dog-walking-consultationBestRob Katschmaryk ***@******.***
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, it's just a query
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I live in London SW15 3QF, UK.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thats fine, it's a difficult question, many thanks
I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.That is a very interesting question. It would come down to how they set that criteria and what selection process they undertook.It is different for private hire licences because they are not likely to increase the number of vehicles on the road but permitting infinite licences to dogwalkers could increase the number of persons and dog in the common to beyond reasonable numbers that might not be beneficial for the common.If they operated a fair selection process for the dogwalkers then its likely to be a legal decision.Kind regards
S
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Experience: Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors