SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

My wife who is years old parked at Phone and pay car park at

Customer Question

Hello , My wife who is 69 years old parked at Phone and pay car park at 169-193 Soho Road Birmingham B21 9SH.She is not as quick as she use to be and went less than fifteen minutes over,. The signage is not very user friendly. We requested Civil Enforcement Ltd of Horton House , Exchange flags Liverpool L2 3PF giving explanations but without really refering to them that have been very sided answer that She has to pay. We appealed to them but they have rejected the appeal. They have said that if we want to appeal against their decision then we must apply to POPLA as their chosen body. We feel we will not be given an independent or fair hearing for the appeal. They have said that they have to inform us by law that Ombudsman-Services provide an alternative dispute resolution service that would be competent to deal with our appeal. We requested that we want Ombudsman-services to deal with our appeal. This time they did not reply for nearly 3 weeks and we sent a reminder with Signed For service. We received reply that we have to go through independent appeals service via www.popla.co.uk but we feel that we are not going to get a fair hearing and they are sticking 28 days from their date of previous letter which is tomorrow. All the communication have been by post we have written evidence and we feel any fair minded body will accept our appeal. Can you help us please Mrs Harbhajan Kaur and Jasmer Singh mobile number 07956 890702
JA: Where is your wife? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: She has now gone to sleep we have been to London and she was very tired and we have just seen this letter
JA: What steps has your wife taken so far?
Customer: We have written to Civil Enforcement Ltd about three times but their attitude seems very unfriendly and in some threatening that we will lose the right to pay at reduced rate of £60 instead of £100 if we did not pay at certain time or date
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 5 days ago.
Hello,I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.These private parking charges have always been legally enforceable. The signage despite being unclear has been determined to be reasonable and lawful. Arguments over language and literacy have not been accepted.I agree that POPLA generally favour the companies not the Appellant but in all honesty it is easier to simply pay the charge and move on before legal costs rise and they commence debt action.Kind regards
S