How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 18399
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have had an issue with my mechanic, northampton, none, no

Customer Question

hi I have had an issue with my mechanic
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: northampton
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Mechanic just took me on a complete ride. Told me that the repair can be up to £1000. Never made me aware of ordering any parts and then was claiming that the work has been done without my authority. I have asked him start from the cheapest solution and he has started from the most exensive one telling me that it did not work so need to go back to the cheap one. Told me that I have to send money to his account as a "gift". No proper invoice for parts or labour. Just written on a piece of paper. On top of it he has stolen my spare tyre and replaced my tyres with winter tyres. I have recently bought a car so do not have photo evidence of tyres. Regardless of this. Is there something I can do at least for a repair? It was £625 so not crazy expensive however not particularly cheap.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your response this late
What is likely the cost of going to court and what are my chances with little to no evidence and what is likely going to be my cost of this in total?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

I think you have a good claim. The cost depends on how much you want to claim.

But the court fees are added to the cost of the claim.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The thing is that from the full repair I can really just claim the cost of clutch £235 which is going to be very hard to prove and I cannot really prove theft of alloys. Should the cost be higher than £235 then its unlikely to be worth it. Should he win by some miracle then I assume that I would also need to cover his cost
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

Yes. The court will will be around £35.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
What are the solicitor fees associated please? I assume that I cannot just go to court without having to pay for example for another services diagnostics that has not been done.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

If you want a solicitor these costs can’t be recovered.

You can get a public access Barrister to help at

Does that help?