ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

Please I’d like to know if I am forced to by law to provide

Customer Question

please I’d like to know if I am forced to by law to provide shops and bars and pubs with my contact details for the track and trace - or whether I have the right to refuse? And if i do, does a bar have the right to deny me access on the grounds that I refuse to comply?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have refused to comply and told it’s the “law” but as far as I understand it, it’s simply a guideline. I’d like clarity
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I’d also like to know if I am allowed to take a taxi without a mask. I am exempt according to the guidelines (respiratory issues and severe anxiety) and I also carry a letter from gp at all times stating this. I know that under current guidelines, all I have to do is say “I’m exempt” and no one is allowed to ask for proof. If they do, it’s an infringement on my rights. I have been aggressively questioned in taxis on a few occasions - and also in shops - and barred entry. Are taxis specifically allowed to do this? Even if I have legitimate reasons as per government guidelines? I am asking because I am tired of being attacked and also anxious for my freedoms
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 5 days ago.

Coverings are mandatory in enclosed public spaces such as supermarkets, indoor shopping centres, transport hubs, banks and takeaways. Police can hand out fines of up to £100 to those who do not comply. If you do not need to wear coverings because you are exempt then this is fine. A letter from the GP may well help going forward. Shops are allowed to refuse to allow you access in law. Certain premises are now required by law to seek for track and trace reasons your details and can prevent your access without this information.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank youTo clarify, if a shop refuses a person access despite the fact that they are exempt due to a “hidden disability” as per government guidelines, is this not a breach of the Equalities Act 2010 - a clear discrimination
I can’t wear a mask due to strong and valid reasons and as per government guidelines
If a shop refuses access, are you saying this is ok legally despite clear discrimination?
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 4 days ago.

As it presently stands the position of the government is that they can refuse access. Whether that is a breach would ultimately be a matter for the courts.