UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have recently had a Will Written and wondered whether you

Customer Question

HiI have recently had a Will Written and wondered whether you could clarify the meaning. Does this Clause mean that my Executors can change the amounts of distribution as they see fit? My wishes would then not be adhered to in terms of who gets what?
6.1 EXECUTORS/TRUSTEE POWERS
My trustees may from time to time invest in addition to their powers under the general law the balance of my estate or any parts or parts thereof in any way in which they in their absolute discretion think fit in all respects as if they were the beneficial owners of such monies and may from time to time vary or transpose such investments.Does this Clause have to be in my will?Kind regards *****: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Sorry, where it’s written in the Will?
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: None just the Will
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No not at this stage
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 11 days ago.

Hello Patrick,

You may ask the Will drafter to delete this clause if you are not happy with it.

It is a standard provision that is frequently included in Wills to give your Executors powers to deal with any aspect of your estate that may have been overlooked in your Will.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Does this mean that they can vary the Will as they seem fit?

They have discretion to invest the balance/residue of your estate as they deem fit, this gives them flexibility to deal with the residue of your estate as if they were the owners.

Polite reminder.

This question is still open. Please leave a positive rating so that I may close it.