UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I purchased 2 sofas from Harvets furniture company. 4/12/19.

Customer Question

Good Morning,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I purchased 2 sofas from Harvets furniture company. 4/12/19. I have a fault on the recliner mechanism and have been trying to get this rectified since July. Harvey's have apparently gone into liquidation. As my furniture is less than 12 months old I am told I need to go back to Harvey's. I have a 5 year insurance policy but they wont help until the furniture is over 12 months old.In the meantime I'm left witha broken sofa. Any help would be much appreciated. Regards Jill
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Barnsley South Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I rang Harvey's and they arranged for "Home Serve" to come along 3 July to assess. They then rang that day to say all visits were cancelled due to the threat of liquidation. I rang Harvey's who were very tight lipped but ' helpfully' fave me the manufacturers telephone number. This was a SouthAfrican company who were under investigation ( not sure what for).Rang Harvey's numerous times to be told they would be in touch....they wernt.I found my 5 year insurance document yesterday and I have called them today. They say it's out of their hands but may look at it when my sofas are 12 months old. Just going around in circles really.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The furniture was purchased brand new, cash sale from Harvey's branch in Wombwell Barnsley. purchase date 4/12/19 the fault occurred in June 2020. I have a 5 year insurance policy with the furniture
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 7 days ago.

How did you pay Harveys and please upload a copy of your insurance policy.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I paid cash

Thank you. Please upload the insurance policy.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I paid for product in good faith. I am going round in circles and now being asked to pay £44 for a phone call.....no thanks

We do not need to have a call.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 days ago.

I would advise you to lodge a formal complaint with the insurer as it is unusual that they are asking you to wait until the sofas are 12 months old.

All the best