UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have a tenant that is refusing to pay rent. They do not

Customer Question

Hi I have a tenant that is refusing to pay rent. They do not have a tenancy agreement but have lived in the property for 2 years. The property is now under offer and they have agreed to move out by 10th November. However they have changed the locks and refusing to give us a key. They have refused us enrty for an internal viewing even though we have given the 24 hours notice. They have not been to the proprty for 2 days . do i have any rights to gain entrance to my own property
JA: Where is your tenant? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ightham, Sevenoaks, Kent
JA: What steps has your tenant taken so far?
Customer: They have changed the locks without notifying us, refused to issue us with a key. Have not answered our request to inspect the propery as it is now under offer. and do not appear to be there. all the curtains are closed. what if there is a gas leak or fire ?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they are now also refusing to pay rent but have not put any explanation in writing to us
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 6 days ago.

You may get a locksmith to give you access to the property to inspect it on the ground that you suspect that the tenant has abandoned the property.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am not breaking the law ?

No, as you may argue that you suspected that the tenants have abandoned the property and needed access to ensure that the property was safe e.g. no gas or water leaks.

You may call the police beforehand to let them know.

All the best. Please leave a positive rating