JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I live in Ireland and I bought a laptop on ebay from a UK

I live in Ireland and I bought a laptop on ebay from a UK seller for private use. Just outside the 24 months of Apple warranty the screen became defective. I contacted the reseller and was told UK consumer law only applies for 24 months. The repairer told me that the UK consumer law applies till 6 years after purchase. Is this correct?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Where what is please?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Sent the computer to an authorised repair store I. Belfast and I contacted the reseller asking for the repair costs to be covered under UK consumer law.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think this covers it all, thanks.

Hi, this is Jim, thank you very much for the question - I will resolve this for you today.

Yes, so in consumer law, you have a period of up to 6 years to sue the seller in the courts. This is known as the limitation period (under the Limitation Act 1980). A warranty does not affect your consumer rights either.

As you bought the laptop from a UK seller, you have protection under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which states that the laptop has to be:

· of satisfactory quality in that it must not be faulty or damaged when received

· as described in that the laptop must match any description given at the time of purchase

· fit for purpose in that it should be fit for the purpose intended

If not then the seller should refund you if the fault develops within 30 days. After 30 days they are entitled to perform one repair attempt - if that fails then they owe a refund. Within 6 months of ownership the burden of proving the laptop is not faulty at the time of purchase falls to the seller. After 6 months the burden shifts to the consumer to show the laptop was faulty from the outset, which usually means a report from an expert to support your case is required.
If the seller refuses to either refund or fix the laptop then you can use the European Small Claims procedure which only costs 25 euro and is dealt with on paper by a judge - when you win the case the court order is then sent to the seller's home county court for enforcement.

I hope this helps - please feel free to ask me anything else if you would like clarification of my answer.

Hi there, I’m just checking to see if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Am still at work; will read later this evening and let you know. Many thanks.

No problem at all, thanks