Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have a race discrimination case that i would like to take

Customer Question

Hi, i have a race discrimination case that i would like to take to court
JA: Was this discrimination issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: The discrimination issue in regards ***** ***** of services
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: employees
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Please can you explain the issue in some more detail, providing as much information as possible. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello Ben, Can i switch to call me please
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Hi there. The pop-up offering you the chance to request a phone call is automatic and I have no control over it. Therefore, if you request a call back there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else, would be available to fulfill it. At present, due to outside commitments, I cannot take calls but your request is open and visible to all other experts. If someone is available, they will accept it and call you, but if no one is free, then it will remain open until it is accepted or you decide to cancel it. In the meantime, you have already paid for a written response and that is the part I will continue helping you with.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

If you can please explain the situation in some more detail I will advise in writing on here

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I went to my local shop and i was refused service. i believe it was racial discrimination against me before the cashier served the three white people before me. The issue lead to the staffs calling the police when i insisted on knowing the reason while i was refused service. I wrote a letter to the company and they did not acknowledge the issue raised , i have also spoke to EASS and they wrote the company but i am not happy with their response and will like to take the case further . Thanks, John
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear this. Did the shop assistant provide any reason at all for refusing to serve you?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It was my turn to be served having joined the que of 3 white people in front of me before a lady later indeitified as rebeka said you cant be served and later said the shop was closed
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience. Whilst I appreciate how you were made to feel in the shop and that you believe it was because of your race, the important thing to note is that there is no direct proof that this was the case. You can of course try and put two and two together and argue that but it still does not guarantee that this was the actual reason and that a court will agree it was either.

So whilst there is nothing stopping you from making a claim for race discrimination in the County Court, be mindful that you will likely need some more evidence to be successful, such as comments made by the shopkeepers or evidence by witnesses to confirm that you were clearly treated in this way due to race.

In any event if you wanted to claim you can do so by completing form N1 available on the Court’s website.

Hopefully this clarifies your position

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks sir
She made a derogatory comment on the phone while speaking with her friend about me but this can't be proven either but I will still go ahead and file the claim
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Ok thanks and yes, as mentioned, you are entirely within your right to make a claim if you feel you wanted to take it further. Wish you the best of luck with it