How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MarianC Your Own Question
MarianC, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MarianC is online now

I'm looking to apply for power of attorney for my sister who

Customer Question

Hi, I'm looking to apply for power of attorney for my sister who is currently in a care home under social work. My sister took a stroke few years ago and is unable to walk or speak which thus is difficult to communicate, her GP has now advised that my sister has capacity to make decisions. I live in Spain an my sister is in the UK is this ok for me to do? Thanks in advance
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Spain
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Ive just received letter from GP granting my sister to have capacity and grant me poa
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My sisters house has been unoccupied for a year and is still paying bills as we have not had the power to disconnect / cancel direct debits. Can my sister claim this back?
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  MarianC replied 7 days ago.

Hello, I am sorry to hear about your sister. Yes it is possible to do this with you in Spain and your sister here. Whereabouts is she? She is deemed to be the client so you will need to arrange for a local solicitor to visit her. Once your sister has completed her part of the forms the other part is sent to you for signing.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Does a solicitor need to be there even though it has been done by a doctor? Can i take the letter to a solicitor and apply or will I still need to arrange visit with me, my sister and the solicitor?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
My sister has a mortgage on her house but has been receiving benefits from DWP that has been paying part of her mortgage payments, does my sister still have full rights to the sale of her home?
Expert:  MarianC replied 7 days ago.

Hi, yes she will have to be seen by the solicitor unless you wish to do the forms yourselves. Is she in England?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can my sister claim back payments been taken from her account regarding her home utility bills while she has resided in the care home?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No she lives in Scotland
Expert:  MarianC replied 7 days ago.

Yes so more so it will need a solicitor there as they do not have template forms as we do in England and the document needs to be properly prepared.