F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My partner and I co-habited for just under thirty years, our

my partner and I co-habited for just under thirty years, our adult daughter has ME so needed to have accommodation and we chose not to sell the house and split the proceeds.Instead my partner bought me out and I got a flat worth one sixth the value of our property.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: i was ok with this but lost a contract last december and im struggling finanacially. We did this without any legal intervention other than the property issues, transferring money. I have no legal right over the property.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No. I am wondering if there is any recourse to re-settle the issue, is there anything a lawyer can do?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Our incomes are quite different she was the main earner, my pension is 6k, hers is about 25k.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need some time to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait online because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I have not forgotten your question.

when your partner bought you out was it at a fair market value?

how long ago was this?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
similar properties in the road were going for that value. This was Spring 2019.

We have already spoken. I wish I could have been the bearer of better news but I did confirm what your understanding was, was correct.

The thread stays open indefinitely so anything else crops up, just post up and I will deal with it for you but remember that after about 4 days I no longer get notification that you are waiting so I may be delayed getting back to you, for which I apologise.

I hope you get it sorted.