How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4168
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I joined a company in June last year, they had me sign a

This answer was rated:

I joined a company in June last year, they had me sign a contract before employment and it stated that if I left I would have to pay 3k training costs If I left within 3 years, decreasing by a thousand pounds each year.
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No, I was told to sign it or lose the job, I had all the relevant qualifications and experience for the job so all the training I had was 5 days of being watched. The instructor is now under investigation in two places due to bad training
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, thank you for your enquiry and patience. I will review this for you shortly, please bear with me.

Hi, the contract would be binding however if there is no training happening due to the trainer not being capable to train you you should negotiat your terms of contract and it is very possible to get that part varied to reflect that there is actually no training and therefore no need to have a penalty if you were to leave. I hope this helps and all the best. Should they refuse and there is clearly no training and you do not require it because you have your training already then this could be an unfair term of contract and you could look to get the contract terminated should you want to move. Apologies for the delay, I lost connection to your thread. I hope this helps and all the best.

SolicitorRM and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you