Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Afternoon Ellen, Afternoon Ellen can you help me please. I

Afternoon Ellen
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Afternoon Ellen can you help me please. I have just returned from a holiday in Turkey this morning. My employers are refusing to let me back to work until I have had a covid test. I have no symptoms and I am unable to get a test at present. I am due back into the office on Wednesday. I work for a Funeral Director and they are refusing to pay me if I am not there. If I am fit for work and willing to work, can they do this. Regards ***** *****
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I asked before I left if they would pay me while I'm off and they said no. I have not spoken to a solicitor at the moment.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee and do not belong to a union.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think I have covered it.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

How long have you worked there for? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. Rest assured that I am dealing with your query and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello Ben, thank you for your assistance. I work at Thornalley Funeral Services, Austin Street, King's Lynn
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
you may
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
ok
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
When will you call me as you have just taken another 44.00 and still no info
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
if the solicitor can not call I would like a refund please. This is not helping matter and I have had no info

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. As to the phone call, another solicitor accept your request so they should be calling you.

Going back to your query, Turkey is currently on the exempt list of countries which means you do not have to quarantine when you return. Therefore, if you are fit and able to work, you should be allowed to do so. As an extra safety precaution due to the current circumstances, the employer may require you to undertake a Covid-19 test, but they should not penalise you in the meantime by not paying you until you have your results. Doing so would amount to an unlawful deduction of wages which means you can challenge them and even pursue them to recover what you are owed if necessary.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.