How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1958
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I was wrongly accused of damaging a car by a car club

This answer was rated:

Hi, I was wrongly accused of damaging a car by a car club company. I now have a CCJ against me for £12000. I was not responsible for any damage and would like to know if I have any legal recourse?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I wrote to the car club company but to no avail
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Is the CCJ a judgment in default for not responding to the Claim form?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.


There is legal recourse to fight the claim.

In order to do this you will have to take steps to set-aside the judgment by making an application to the court.

The application will explain why you did not respond to the Claim form within the set deadline date and why you have a case to defend the claim against you.

Do you understand what i have stated so far? if yes i will proceed to discuss the next steps once the application is completed

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I understand

Once you have completed the application called N244 you will need to pay the relevant fee which is £255. Then send a copy of the application to the court and your opponent The court will then review your application with a view of approving, listing it for hearing or dismissing it.

Please see below a link to access the application form.

I must warn you that if the application is dismissed you run the risk of paying extra money towards the claim. Therefore think carefully on whether to dispute the claim

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok, I understand, thank you

Your welcome and have a good day

Anthony Chendo and other Law Specialists are ready to help you