ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I have a member with the charity I'm working with; he is

I have a member with the charity I'm working with; he is planning to share communications with chairperson on a public event. Is this legal?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: the charity is registered in UK and the chairperson in Belgium
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing so far
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so

Good day, your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to help.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.

Whether he may be able to share the information is largely dependent on whether the information was shared privately and whether there is a duty on him not to disclose.

This means therefore that you would have to consider the capacity within which the information was shared to see whether there should be a reasonable expectation of privacy on your part.

Hope this helps. Kindly let me know if I may further assist.

Best wishes

RL

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Actually he didn’t say any specifications, he just say
Second, I wish to ask two questions at the AGM and I thought it fair that the Executive Committee and Trustees were informed beforehand.Are any members of the FOS Executive Committee resigning at the AGM. If so what are their reasons for doing so?
FOS is a Registered Charity (UK charity number(###) ###-####. Who are its Trustees (I cannot find details on the FOS website)? Will any be resigning at the AGM?
Depending on the replies I may wish to make a statement at the AGM about my communications with the FOS chairman over the past year.

Unfortunately by virtue of the nature of the relationship between the parties. That is, members of an executive committees, privacy does not usually attach to these communications.

You will find therefore that unless discussions were specifically noted as private and confidential there really is nothing in law that would prevent their disclosure.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hé is not executive committee member he is normal member and we are going to have a meeting for public conference-like and he wants to discuss this in this conference?

Noted. The guidance really is the same. Perhaps speak to the person informally to get an idea of what they intend to discuss. This may allow you to prepare what answers to give. There really is no privilege/expectation of privacy in communications between peers.