Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Is it illegal to run a background screening on a partner

Is it illegal to run a background screening on a partner (boyfriend) using private investigator agency in UK & are these websites scams?
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this? What country do they live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: Uk london
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted a private investigation agency, but have not yet paid. I want to know first if what i am about to do is illegal or not?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

What screenings specifically do you want to undertake? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Enhanced background screening check, home address , previous addresses, marriages, divorced marriages, criminal record, court appearances, employment history, international crimes, social media & internet history, people he lives with who they are.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sorry i was having problems my bank thought it was a unusual transaction and stopped the payment for the call & said it should work again late -_- , ive already paid the £5 fee, is it possible to get answer by txt
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I can copy paste the services they provide
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Our Standard Background Check will consist of the following:Current address and telephone number.
Recent address history.
Date of Birth.
Aliases.
Births related to the person.
Marriages.
Property Ownership.
Estimated property values.
Bankruptcies and County Court Judgments.
Relatives information.
Roommates and neighbours.
Employment history.
Divorces.
Personal Assets, where possible.
Businesses live and failed.Our fee for the standard background check will be £ 175.00 and we would expect to complete the report within 48 hours.Enhanced Background CheckThis option includes the above. In addition, we provide the following checks:Press, media and internet history.
Previous address and linked address searches.
Professional capabilities.
International sanctions list checks.
Reported criminal activity.Our fee for the enhanced background check will be £ 315.00 and we would expect to complete the report within 48 hours.Obviously you can add ANYTHING else to the list (enhanced background check only) when you instruct us to proceed and these additional checks will be FREE of CHARGE unless advised otherwise.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I updated my payment details is it not working ?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Finally it worked
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hey just checking if we are still connected?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi? , just checking your still there

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. It is generally not illegal; to get such checks done because they simply use readily available information which the private investigators would know where to look for. Most of this information will be publicly available as long as you know where to search for it and how to access it and that is precisely what an investigatory would do in the circumstances.

What may be unlawful if someone is being followed as part of a surveillance procedure and they find out about it and ask for it to stop but it continues and causes them further distress – that is likely harassment but I do not see it being an issue here as all these checks can be done remotely.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you so much for your advise & feedback :)
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Always you guys have the best advice

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback - it was my pleasure helping you with your query. All the best