12826847

My missus opened the door and she came out then closed the

hello there
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: my missus opened the door and she came out then closed the door to pass the parcel to delivery guy who was picking up a parcel my 3 yo daughter then opened the door and the moment that guy seen the dog he started screaming and shouting my dog took it as offence and step out the house to protect my missus she thought was in danger and now he I got letter from claiming company stating that he wants to make a claim agains me
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: walsall birmingham west midlands
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I contacted agent I got letter from and confirmed that something like that happened but I dont know much details because I wasnt at home at the time
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think thats everything

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Was he injured?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
He sustained the following injuries:
bite to the right thigh, lacerations and bruising to the knee

Right, are you insured?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
no, my dog got animal-healthcare insuarce
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
which is 17 GBP / month I havent got a clue if this policy covers that or just vaccinations etc.

Iam sorry but I cannot give you good news. I'm afraid you are indifficulty here.

I have to tell you the truth.

I am sorry but it would be wrong of me to avoid givingyou the downside of your position.

Medical insurance won't cover thisbut you might find that your house insurance will. You need to cheque that.

On your primary point though, I'mafraid you are plainly liable. Come what may your dog did bite him. There is nodefence in saying that your dog was acting in defence of her household . Thisis not even a case where anybody was under attack.

Do remember that I can only give you myopinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion.Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting tolose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even thoughthey have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a goodchance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer toevery legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed tocourt.

The ultimate decisioncomes from a county court judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in acriminal case heard in the magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Hopefully, I haveanswered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anythingremains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In themeantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
basically what you saying this is lost-lost situation.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
obviously I can go elsewhere or ever go to court but my chances are less than little to win this case.

You are liable I'm afraid.

Your insurance may well cover it. You might find that you have house insurance that would cover it.

But you are not raising any defence above.

The yare not the worst injuries so it shouldn't be a huge amount.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Can you guess though how much people usually wants from claims like that?
So I can prepare for big loss

Hasn't he told you how much he wants?

These are not severe injuries so it shouldn't be huge.

He may never sue.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
unfortunatelly I am just a tenant, house doesnt belong to us I dont think my landlord would like to help me with this case as well

Ok, he won't sue for a huge amount if you don't have the money to pay anyway.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Right, whats your thoughts?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
if its 200GBP I am okay with that if its 2000 I wont be able to pay that in 1000 years

I can't anticipate what he is claiming. He may be trying to claim £200 for loss of earnings or £12k for emotional damage!

He won't get that but I can't say what he will be claiming

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
does it matter if the chip my dog has is on my fiance name and she doesnt earn nowhere near what I earn
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
would it be better if she take the blame and her earning are so small he want get much out of her
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
he wont*

You could argue she is the liable person.

But he won't get very much anyway.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
you are a solicitor you scare me with this 'not very much'
I believe yours 'not very much' is much different to mines.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
but anyway thank you very much for your help I hope everything will go well